Wednesday 4 May 2011

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

In England I worked as a Field Coordinator. A tough but incredibly fun job with lots of responsibility. I was promoted from being a customer service rep after about 6 months of working.


Work do with MEM

When I first started my new role I was given the north of England and Scotland as my area.

- Why do you give Scotland to a Swede? I exclaimed to my boss. The Scottish accent can be very tricky!

But I ended up not just learning the different accents of Scotland but also knowing the geography of Scotland better than I have ever known Sweden. I also got to go up north in England and to Glasgow, which I absolutely loved.
However, when Selina left I was also assigned her areas, Wales and Ireland! It was like starting all over again. Irish can be really hard to understand, and sometimes they didn't understand me! "Oh you English people", they would say. Well.
What still makes me laugh is how I struggled to pronounce the names of the Welsh cities.

I vividly remember calling a lady up to ask if she could do a job in Llanelli.

Me: I was just ringing up to see if you are able to cover some hours in "Lanellee" next week?
Lady: Where?
Me: Ehm... "Lanelli"? Is that not how you say it?
Lady: I am sorry I really don't know what you mean?
Me: But... You live there!
Lady: Ohh, you mean "Schaneschli"¨
Me: What?
Lady: Oh yes, double L is pronounced "schl"!

Lucklily I never had to ring anyone and ask if they could do a job in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

File:Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch station sign (cropped version 1).jpg
Pic from wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment