Wednesday 25 May 2011

Swenglish Couples

Yesterday as a part of our well-planned week we went to IKEA to get some bits for the kitchen.

We stopped off at the restaurant, and in the queue I realised that the couple in front of us was Swenglish (he was English and she was Swedish).

I always get so excited when I see other Swenglish couples, and I instatly want to befriend them.
But how? I almost hopped up and down out of frustration of not being able to make them realise how much we had in common! They were right next to us and they didn't know! James' Swedish is so good no one can tell he is English when he speaks. Bugger!

The same thing happened in our little pizza place in Kungsör. An English guy with a Swedish girl sat in there with their kids. I really had to bite my tounge to stop myself going... Well? What would I say? "Oh you're English!? He is English too (pointing at James)". Nah. James doesn't get worked up about these things like I do and would just be embarrassed. I don't get that, when I lived in England and met someone Swedish I always got so excited.

This only happened 3 times in the 3.5 years I lived there, as there weren't many foreingers around where we lived. I will write about these encounters tomorrow.

Am I the only one who gets excited about stuff like this??

No comments:

Post a Comment