Monday 12 September 2011

My James Bond Land-Lord

When I stopped working as an au pair in England I moved in to my own place for the first time in my life. Finally I had my own life, instead of living with another family and according to their rules.
I moved to a shared house, where my house mates were a Welsh guy who I actually never met (!) and later a girl from Zimbabwe moved in.

My land lord was called Douglas. He had a dog named Hamley and lived in a smaller house in the garden.
We got on great. He was a very talkative guy, and I appreciated our chats in the kitchen over a cup of tea.

He would always ask about my day, and would let me take Hamley for walks whenever I wanted.
 

My mum and sister with Hamley

He was always walking around in an old t-shirt and jeans, playing with his dog and pottering around the house. But there was more to this man... After having lived there for a good few months I found out that he worked as a body-double stunt man for Pierce Brosnan in James Bond films! What? My land-lord!?

When I questioned him about it he just smiled and said he knew I would find out eventually.

- So can you like, jump with a motorcycle? I asked, eagerly.
- Yep.
- Could you fall down the stairs?
- Yes, if you paid me for it.

What a cool job! He had been in two James Bond films, and also done stunts for Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible 2 (he called him "Tom"!). I had hundreds of questions.

Then one day he asks me to come outside, he wanted to show me something. Hidden away in his garden was an Aston Martin car. I am not a car person but I did realise that this car was special. "This car makes grown men cry" he said, proudly.

Aston Martin Vanquish Bond
The real Pierce Brosnan with an Aston Martin
One day when I was standing in the kitchen I heard him walk in and turned around.

- Oh well, hello Mr Bond!

He really did look just like Pierce Brosnan's version of Bond, dressed up in a Bond suit, blue lenses in, ready to play his part as Mr Bond to take a groom to his wedding in his fancy car.

What a cool land-lord I had! I ended up living there for almost a year, before I moved in with James. Douglas always jokingly said that he looked forward to the wedding invitation.

Actually, I should send him a card from our wedding, as he seemed to know from the day I met James that I would one day marry him!
My land-lord Douglas.
Look closely in "Tomorrow Never Dies" and "Die Another Day" and you might see him!

No comments:

Post a Comment